Paying for College

Will Divorced Dad's Income Affect EFC?

Question: My parents are divorced, and I live with my mom. It’s just her and me in our house. Once I turn 18, my dad is legally not required by the state of Florida to support me financially (i.e. pay for my postsecondary education.) Since this is the case, will my family’s expected contribution be based on just my mother’s income? I don’t work. My mom is the sole provider in our household.

Even if your father’s divorce decree does not require him to support you past age 18, colleges that require financial information from both parents will still use his income and assets to determine your financial aid. Well, that’s the BAD news. But there is also some GOOD news:

1. Many colleges require just the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). The FAFSA asks for financial information from the custodial parent alone. So, at these schools, your EFC will be based on ONLY your mother’s information.

Keep reading Show less
Find Your Best Fit
Find your best fit college and track your favorite colleges.
Connect with your future classmates
Offer not stacking up? These articles may help
Expert advice and answers to common SAT and ACT questions