What do you think of when you hear the word "posse"? I think of movies about the wild west. "Round up a posse and we'll bring that varmint to justice!" Posses have a generally negative connotation. Check out these formal definitions:
Yet whenever she felt like a fish out of water, Wade could turn to her "posse" — nine other girls who, like her, had been recruited from struggling Boston-area school districts and sent on full merit scholarship to the elite women's college.
Wade's posse is one of dozens sent to top-tier universities each year by the New York-based Posse Foundation. The combination of monetary and social support is a model that experts say could help move the U.S. toward President Barack Obama's goal of having America lead the world in the percentage of college graduates by 2020. Next fall, the program hits the Ivy League when it debuts at Penn . . .
So, what's the scoop on this Posse Foundation? According to their Web site:
The Posse Foundation identifies public high school students with extraordinary academic and leadership potential who may be overlooked by traditional college selection processes. Posse’s partner colleges and universities award Posse Scholars four-year, full-tuition leadership scholarships. These Scholars graduate at a rate of 90 percent and make a visible difference on campus and throughout their professional careers.
The Posse Foundation could not exist without the support of its partner colleges and universities. These institutions have awarded more than $265 million in leadership scholarships to Posse Scholars across the country.The following is a list of Posse’s partner colleges and universities and their recruitment cities.
- Babson College Posse New York
- Bard College Posse Atlanta
- Boston University Posse Atlanta
- Brandeis University Posse New York
- Bryn Mawr College Posse Boston
- Bucknell University Posse Boston + Posse Los Angeles + Posse D.C.
- Carleton College Posse Chicago
- Centre College Posse Boston
- Claremont McKenna College Posse Los Angeles
- Colby College Posse New York
- The College of Wooster Posse Atlanta
- Connecticut College Posse Chicago
- Denison University Posse Boston + Posse Chicago
- DePauw University Posse Chicago + Posse New York
- Dickinson College Posse Los Angeles + Posse New York
- Franklin & Marshall College Posse New York
- Grinnell College Posse Los Angeles + Posse D.C.
- Hamilton College Posse Boston + Posse Miami
- Kalamazoo College Posse Los Angeles
- Lafayette College Posse New York + Posse D.C.
- Lawrence University Posse New York
- Middlebury College Posse New York
- Mount Holyoke College Posse Miami
- Oberlin College Posse Chicago
- Pepperdine University Posse D.C.
- Pomona College Posse Chicago
- Sewanee: The University of the South Posse D.C.
- Trinity College Posse New York + Posse Chicago
- Tulane University Posse Los Angeles
- Union College Posse Boston
- University of California, Berkeley Posse Los Angeles
- University of California, Los Angeles Posse Los Angeles
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Posse Chicago
- University of Pennsylvania Posse Miami
- University of Wisconsin-Madison Posse Chicago + Posse Los Angeles + Posse D.C.
- Vanderbilt University Posse New York
- Wheaton College Posse New York
So, saddle up and check out what the Posse Foundation can do for you next fall when you ride out on the range of your chosen college campus.
Don’t forget to check out all my admissions-related articles and book reviews at College Confidential.