Test Prep

Taking AP Exams On Your Own

Question: Can I take Advanced Placement exams even if my school doesn't offer the appropriate classes? My counselor says he cannot order these tests for me.

AP testing IS available to students whose schools don't offer the tests or for those who are home-schooled.

Go to the College Board AP registration-information site at: http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/ap/reg.html.

You will see this information there:

If you are a home-schooled student or attend a school that does not offer AP, you can still take the exams by arranging to test at a participating school.

Call AP Services no later than March 1 to get the names and telephone numbers of local AP Coordinators. Phone: (609) 771-7300 or (888) 225-5427 (toll free in the U.S. and Canada)

Prepare a list of the exams you plan to take prior to calling so that the appropriate Coordinators can be identified.

Contact the AP Coordinators identified by AP Services no later than March 15.

When calling Coordinators to arrange testing, make sure to tell them:

You are trying to locate a school willing to administer exams to home-schooled students or students from schools that do not offer AP.

You will use a different school code so your exam grade(s) will be reported separately from the school at which you test. (Home-schooled students will use the state home-school code provided by the Coordinator on the day of the exam; students attending schools will use their school code.)

The exams you plan to take.

Once you locate a school willing to administer the exams, that school's AP Coordinator is responsible for ordering your exam materials, telling you when and where to appear for the exams, and collecting your fees, which he or she may negotiate to recover additional proctoring or administration costs. That school must administer the exams for you; it cannot forward them to you or your school for handling.

For information about preparing for AP exams on your own, check out this site:


Good luck with your tests!