Paying for College

Does "Surrogate Son" Count as Household Member

Question: We have a young man who is our "surrogate child" for lack of a better term. For about a year now, he has lived with us during his breaks when he is not at college and we contribute towards his support by providing him room and board when he is here, buying him some things that he needs for school (computer, school supplies, household furnishings, etc.). He has cut off ties with his mother. When he started college almost two years ago, he applied as a financially independent student because his mother never contributed anything. He has that status. Plus he has SSI. But we do contribute to his support. I don't think he would be considered part of our household for financial aid purposes (isn't the definition whether you contribute 50% or more of support...? We contribute but not 50%) but I want to verify that.

If I'm interpreting your letter correctly, it sounds as if you're in the throes of filling out the FAFSA (and perhaps other financial aid forms) for your own child, while also offering some financial assistance to your "surrogate" son. Is this correct?

Keep reading Show less
Find Your Best Fit
Find your best fit college and track your favorite colleges.
Connect with your future classmates
Offer not stacking up? These articles may help
Expert advice and answers to common SAT and ACT questions