Independent Status for Beauty School Student?

Question: I am about to start at the beauty school and I have to do the financial aid forms. But I want to know if I can be independent because my parents are not at all going to help me pay off anything. I’m on my own with paying school off. The only thing is that yes I do still live with my parents and I am only 17. My parents income isn't very good so can I be independent or do I have to put my parents?

Unfortunately, it’s very difficult to get independent or “emancipated” status at your age, and if you live with your parents, it’s impossible. What you CAN do, however, is to write a letter to the beauty school and explain that your parents are not going to help you at all with your tuition bills. Sometimes college officials have a little “wiggle room” when it comes to providing extra aid for students in your situation. I wouldn’t count on it, of course, but it’s worth a shot.

In addition, if your parents’ income is low and, assuming that you are a US citizen, you should qualify for some financial aid. What you might want to do is to apply to more than one beauty school … if there are several options in your area … and see if you get more financial assistance from one school than you do at others.

Keep reading Show less
Find Your Best Fit
Find your best fit college and track your favorite colleges.
Connect with your future classmates
Offer not stacking up? These articles may help
Expert advice and answers to common SAT and ACT questions