Preparing for College

How Do I Officially Verify My Enrollment?

Question: How do I find verification that I attend the college that I do?

Verification of Enrollment is most commonly required in order to get a student loan. In a perfect world, a picture on your Facebook page showing you and your friends sunbathing outside your dorm or cheering at a football game with your face painted in your college colors should be enough to prove that you are indeed a student at the school you claim to attend. :-) In the real world, however, things are rarely this simple ... or this amusing .However, if you do a search for "Verification of Enrollment" on your college's Web site, you may find information about how to go about procuring such a form from your school.

Here are a couple actual examples of such sites:

If you've already tried that approach but you struck out, then you should contact the Office of the Registrar at your college to request the form. They should be able to give you one... possibly for a very small fee or most likely for free.

The registrar will probably want this request in writing (or in person). Expect to provide the registrar with:

-Your printed name and signature

-Your Social Security Number

-Dates of attendance, date of anticipated graduation, etc.

-The names and addresses of recipients

-The number of copies required

-Your daytime phone number and email address

You can also check to see if your college belongs toThe National Student Clearinghouse.

If your school's name is on this list, you can probably obtain verification right from the Web site.

Some lenders or other individuals and organizations may accept a less formal verification ... e.g., a copy of your most recent grades or course schedule, a copy of your student I.D., or any other important-looking document, like a receipt of tuition bill, that has your name on it.

However, obtaining an official form is typically a very straightforward process, so your best bet is to check the school Web site for instructions, and then contact the Office of the Registrar if you don't find anything on the Web to guide you.