Preparing for College

Getting a Transcript Released With a Debt Still Due to a Former College

Question: I owe a university $1664.00 and I want to attend another, but the old university will not release my transcript. What am I to do? What are my options? Thanks for help.

Unfortunately, colleges are unrelenting in this situation. Administrators know that the only way they are likely to see the money that a former student owes them is by withholding the transcript until the debt is paid. You can try to negotiate a release by offering to set up a payment plan (where you pay a specified amount up front and then make additional monthly payments until you reach the total owed). However, it's highly unlikely that the college will release your transcript before you've paid off the entire debt.

Keep reading Show less
Find Your Best Fit
Find your best fit college and track your favorite colleges.
Connect with your future classmates
Offer not stacking up? These articles may help
Expert advice and answers to common SAT and ACT questions