Changing College Plans in the Summer After Senior Year

Question: Hi, I was wondering if it was possible to switch to a different college after a deposit has already been put down for one. I have placed my deposit down at the University of Michigan and after many qualms have decided that my original favorite, Rose-Hulman Technological University, is truly the college for me. Do you have any suggestions on what to do? I’m sure that the counselors at Rose-Hulman will be more than willing to help, though I don’t want to ask for it without being sure that it’s possible. Thank you.

Colleges expect to experience what they call “summer melt” each year. That’s when incoming freshmen, who already enrolled and deposited, change their minds. So, yes you can withdraw from Michigan and attend Rose-Human instead, but just don’t plan to see your deposit dough again. (Well, it can’t hurt to ask for a refund, but it’s unlikely that you’ll get it.) And don’t worry about bad karma because you’re not doing anything unethical.

BUT … before you say, “Thanks anyway” to Michigan, be certain that Rose-Hulman still has a place for you (get it in writing) along with any financial aid that you require.

Keep reading Show less
Find Your Best Fit
Find your best fit college and track your favorite colleges.
Connect with your future classmates
Offer not stacking up? These articles may help
Expert advice and answers to common SAT and ACT questions