How Can Non-Custodial Dad Help With College Costs Without Breaking the Bank?


My son lives with his mom -- I am the non-custodial parent. His mom has a tax lien, didn't file taxes in 2016 and can't get a loan of any kind. How do I help him with college beyond the money I already have set aside? $35,000 won't get him very far. He's not my dependent so I can't take out a loan, can I? I am not interested in refinancing my home or draining my retirement.

Financing a college education can be costly and confusing — and often even more so when a student's parents are divorced. So here are some points to keep in mind as you wade into this quagmire:

Keep reading Show less