Can I Have In-State Status in Two States?


I live in New York and go to public school here, but my father's full-time job is in Virginia. He has an apartment there and comes home to New York on the weekends. He pays Virginia state taxes due to his job there. Do I get in-state tuition in both states?

Unfortunately, you can't qualify for in-state tuition in more than one state, and -- because New York is your primary residence, your mother's primary residence and the state where you attend school -- you will not be considered an in-state student at any Virginia public college. But if you long to be a Cavalier or a Hokie (etc.) but not pay full freight for the experience, here's a gambit you can try:

Keep reading Show less
Find Your Best Fit
Find your best fit college and track your favorite colleges.
Connect with your future classmates
Offer not stacking up? These articles may help
Expert advice and answers to common SAT and ACT questions