Paying for College

California In-State Tuition for TX Resident with Mom in CA?

Question: I am a resident of California. My daughter, now a high school sophomore, currently resides in Texas with her father, but we have joint custody. Does she qualify for in-state tuition in California?

"The Dean" gets residency-requirement questions all the time but was flummoxed by this one. It seems that one needs an advanced degree ... preferably in law (or maybe Quantum Physics? ;-)) to decipher the rules in California. Granted, I have sympathy for the Golden State brass. This is your classic, "If you build it, they will come" situation. That is, California offers so many excellent public education opportunities at a reasonable cost to in-state residents that's it's no surprise that anyone who has even an outside shot at in-state status is likely to take a stab at it.

Keep reading Show less