Applying for Financial Aid as an "Independent Student"

Question: I can hardly get any help from the government because I am considered dependent on my parents, and they make quite a bit of money. The problem is, they won't help me with tuition. I have lived on my own for over a year and will be 23 next month. I've heard of emancipating yourself from your parents to be considered independent (I'm not married, nor do I have children). Is this possible for someone my age?

Unfortunately, as you’ve probably figured out all ready, college financial aid officesâ€"and the U.S. government as wellâ€"aren’t very sympathetic when it comes to students whose parents have the resources to help pay for college yet refuse to do so. That is, while they may feel sorry for you and the bind that you’re in, there isn’t a lot they can do to get you out of it.

Keep reading Show less
Find Your Best Fit
Find your best fit college and track your favorite colleges.
Connect with your future classmates
Offer not stacking up? These articles may help
Expert advice and answers to common SAT and ACT questions